Rustic Roast Chicken – MmMmMm
- 1 large SPAR Tender & Tasty Chicken
- 1 lemon
- Tomato Butter:
-30 ml Tomato Pesto
-45 ml SPAR butter, softened
- SPAR Freshly ground black pepper
-15 ml SPAR sugar
– 1 x10g sachet dried yeast
– 400g SPAR Wheat Flour
– 5 ml SPAR salt
- 60g SPAR butter, melted
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water, plus extra if necessary
- 2 SPAR eggs
- SPAR Oil for brushing
1. Preheat oven to 180 c.
2. For the tomato butter: combine the tomato pesto and soft butter. Season with black pepper.
Separate the skin from the body of the chicken and push the butter underneath.
3. Cut the lemon into quarters and place inside the chicken. Place the chicken in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove and prepare the dough.
4. For the dough: Sift the dry ingredients together. Combine the melted butter and lukewarm water. Add to the dry ingredients together with the eggs. Mix to form a soft pliable dough. Knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Brush with oil and place in a bowl and allow to rise until doubled in size.
5. Knock down the dough and roll into a circle 1cm thick and 45 cm across.
6. Place the par cooked chicken on top, then wrap the dough around it and seal the edges. Transfer to an oven dish and bake for 1 – 1 ½ hours, or until the bread is crisp and the chicken cooked.
7. To check insert a knife into the chicken – it should come out piping hot.
Hints and Tips
Hints and Tips: You can serve with SPAR Freshline Roasting vegetables.
Serves: 4 – 6
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 90 -120 minutes
Recommended Wine: Enjoy with an easy drinking Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay.